Fringe dress in double gauze

A few days ago I posted a question on Instagram wondering if I should be concerned about a friend of mine who made three Fringe dresses in less than a month. I know that you know I was not talking about a 'friend'. Yep. I really did it. I love this amazing pattern by Chalk and Notch so much I made three dresses in less than a month. And I love them all. The first Fringe dress is my 'special occasion' dress. The second was also made with rayon, but the print made it look so cool and casual! And now the third :)


There is something magical about the colour red. For some it associates with danger. For me, it is a colour of love, passion, confidence, fun and beauty. Whenever I wear this dress I feel I could conquer the world. Seriously, don't mess with a woman wearing red!


I tried very hard to convince myself that I didn't need a third Fringe dress. However I could not help but wonder what this pattern would look like made in double gauze. After all, double gauze was one of my original choices of fabric for this pattern. Curiosity may have killed a cat, but in my case it produced the most worn item in my closet.


This fabric was being sold at my local Spotlight as chambray a couple of years ago. It is definitely double gauze! I was on a mission at the time, focussing on what I needed when with a corner of my eye I spotted a bright splash of red on a shelf. My legs followed my eyes, and I found myself buying the remaining three metres of this fabric. Told ya, the colour red is magical ;)


I have never sewed with double gauze before. Somehow I expected it to be fiddly, but it was so easy to work with.


I made no changes to the pattern after my second attempt at sewing this dress, apart from leaving out the ties.


I am constantly amazed how a choice of fabric changes the look and the feel of a garment. This dress feels very casual. I don't feel overdressed at work, school pick up or a supermarket, yet I feel fabulous. Besides, the comfort level of this dress is off the charts!


I love how the wrong side of this fabric is basically the right side in the opposite colourway. Because the Fringe dress has such a fabulous hemline this little colour twist adds a small fun factor.


I had the hardest time choosing the buttons for this dress. I originally was going to use small ball shaped off-white buttons, but they were too off-white comparing to the white motif, and I thought I was risking being mistaken for Mrs Claus at this time of year. I decided to go with plain buttons in the same colour as the fabric. Although I didn't like this look too much in the beginning, it certainly grew on me.


So, after conducting my little sneaky survey on IG it sounds like sewing the same pattern three times is not a crime. What about four? I am dreaming of a Fringe in linen...

11 comments

  1. Ok confession time, Jenya. I have made 5 of the new Tessuti Melinda dresses. One was a fail as I used the wrong sort of fabric, so it is a round the house dress now. Two are dress length and two are tunic length so really only 2 dresses right? Love reading your blog. Cheers Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn :) Loved your tunic! I bet the dresses turned out lovely too. Gotta look into this pattern :)

      Delete
  2. You're killing it with these Fringe dresses! This color is lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg. It is nice to finally have something in my fave colour in my wardrobe :)

      Delete
  3. The fit of this dress is absolutely perfect. It does look like the perfect breezy throw-on-and-be-put-together garment. And no harm in making a couple more - I make my favorite patterns to death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha. Yes the dress feels so comfy! Love wearing it! I might go ahead and make more hehe

      Delete
  4. The dress looks perfect on you, Jenya! When something looks that great and feels even better, I say make 3 more!! And I love it in double gauze - I'm glad you ended up trying it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Emi, and thank you for the chat about double gauze. This fabric feels divine on!!! I might just go and make three more ;)

      Delete
  5. That's lovely, red is my favourite colour so I think everything looks good in red anyway but this rally does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, red is my fave colour also, so I agree 100% :)

      Delete
  6. I can't decide which is my favoite, but it might just be this one! The double gauze - comfort factor sounds amazing. Above all of that, I am flattered that you enjoy the pattern so much. Thank you so much for sharing! XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.