Janie dress

Miss R: Mummy, can you make me a stretchy dress?
Me: Sure love.
Miss R: It needs to be super twirly, so that when I spin you could see my knickers.
Me: Sure love.

Of course we all understand that my daughter's request meant she wanted a knit dress with a circular skirt. In other words, she wanted a Janie dress by Mouse House Creations. So, While she was sleeping...


I don't sew for Miss R as much as I used to, simply because she wears school uniform five days a week during a school year. So when she came up with this request I dropped everything and made her a Janie dress... Actually, I didn't.


No, I am not a mean mother. Well, I guess if you ask Miss R she might tell you that sometimes I am! But not in this case :) You see, we were heading into cold months when the pattern was released. My heart was set on the ballet scoop back. I knew Miss R would love it! But it just didn't sound practical in the middle of winter.


I kept on making one thing after another, and Miss R kept on inquiring when I was going to make her super twirly dress. After a few months I began to feel like a mean mother indeed! As we were heading closer and closer to Christmas I finally granted my daughter's request.


Miss R chose Indie Boheme knit - Blooming soul plum from Ministry of Fabric for her dress. She loved all the colours, so did I.


The Janie dress pattern is such a quick and fun sew. It really is as straight forward as it gets, but with a few fun details and of course an irresistible circle skirt this pattern is sure to become an instant hit!


I made this dress in size 6 width with size 7 length. Looking at the photos I am wondering if I should have gone for size 7 around her shoulders as well... or maybe I should have given the shoulder seams a bit more steam to make it sit flat. Every time I set sleeves in I debate which way I need to press the seam, inside the sleeve or outside. What do you do?


Well, my big love finally got her super twirly dress and she could not stop twirling! My heart filled with joy seeing her so happy with her new dress. She said she would wear it for Christmas, and she did! In fact, this dress is worn as soon as it comes off the clothes line! Told ya, an instant hit ;)


Next up is my little girlie's Christmas dress...

7 comments

  1. I love her choice of fabric! And the Janie dress is a perfect twirl dress - I would have held out for that ballet scoop back option, too. It's so lovely on her and she looks so happy. You are definitely NOT a mean mum with all that you do for your girls <3 Looking forward to seeing your little one's Christmas dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emi :) YOu are always so encouraging and kind xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, such a great photo's ;-) Twirling dresses are really the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tinne :) I secretly hope she will enjoy twirly dresses for a bit longer :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous dress. This would be a hit in this house too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really can't go wrong with the Jane dress. :) This one is such a lovely color too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.