The cat in the hat dress

My husband and I have been reading with Little Monkey ever since she could hold her head. I find it incredibly sweet how she gets comfy on my knee, leans her little body against mine, turns pages with her precious fingers, points at the pictures, makes running commentaries... I love the fact that she wants to read, and read, and read. We have read her favourite books so many times that she knows them by heart.

It is Book Week in Australia. Children and educators at Little Monkey's childcare are invited to come dressed as characters from their favourite books this week. 

I am not really into sewing once-off outfits. Sure costumes are fun to make, but I prefer making practical things. Something my daughter can enjoy wearing any day.

Last time I went fabric shopping I saw some Dr. Seuss inspired fabric, but walked past it without even stopping to have a look. It was not until I returned home it dawned on me I could make a Book Week dress out of that fabric. Is there a child in the English-speaking world who is not crazy over Dr. Seuss' books? 'The cat in the hat', 'Horton hears a Who', 'Hop on pop' and 'Ten apples up on top' are some of Little Monkey's favourites.

Little Monkey and I went fabric shopping together. She picked the fabric she liked best. While she was sleeping, I made a simple A line dress for Little Monkey using a new pattern I bought from The Lily Bird Studio.


When Little Monkey woke up and saw the dress she practically squealed with joy! "Cat in the hat dress! Mummy, look, Cat in the hat dress!" She absolutely loves it and shows different characters on the dress to anyone who would stop, look and listen. Is there a better compliment a sewing mummy can get? I seriously doubt it.


 Little Monkey looks so grown up in these photos.


The dress is very easy to make. The pattern is great and the directions are clear. Most importantly - the fit is perfect. I have a feeling Little Monkey will end up with a few more classic A line dresses in her wardrobe this summer.


Little Monkey shares her mummy's passion for buttons. She loves to point out a big red button on the back of her new dress.


After giving me five minutes of her time Little Monkey thought it was enough and started running around, throwing her rock and then calling her little wooden toy kitten to come get it. Gee, being three is such hard work!




Pin It

21 comments

  1. Love it.
    I grew up with Dr. Seuss. I took the same book out of the library every week. I loved the Star Bellied Sneetches as did my daughters when they were little.

    I'm loving A line dresses and tunics at the moment there is so much you can do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually get the character fabric- but this is tempting. My little one is into Fox in Socks and Cat in the Hat right now. I can imagine how excited your little one was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither :) That's why I went past it the first time. We don't have Fox in Soks... yet :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! She does look so very grown up. Why oh why do they have to do it so fast!? We love 10 apples up on top :) And of course Cat in The Hat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is so cute! I think teaching kids to love books is a wonderful thing. I'm in Melbourne and the kids haven't had book week this year oddly enough. Anyway I love finding new crafty Aussie blogs newest follower xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea and very cute!! I'm sure she will remember this dress for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim :) I hope so :) Have you changed to no-reply?

      Delete
  6. Love it!! It's really cute and your little girl is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually not a big fan of character fabric, but I just adore this dress with The Cat in the Hat fabric!!! Great choice, Jenya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress is super cute! I've been wondering about that pattern - looks like I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth :) The pattern is great! I think I will make a few more dresses for LM with this pattern. it is like blank canvas - one can jazz them up or just pick some nice fabric and make simple dresses that would still look great :) You can't go wrong here :)

      Delete
  9. Very cute! The dress is very compliment your girl eyes. She looks like a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet - I bet this will be her favourite for a while!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely dress. I love the Dr Seuss fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dress is so stinkin cute! Love the Cat in the Hat pattern! Thanks for stopping by blog and commenting, so sweet of you. I just started following you and hoping you'll follow back :) http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love the opportunity to mingle with like-minded people blogging offers :) Isn't it great!

      Delete
  13. Too cute! I love that Cat in the Hat fabric! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T'onna :) Thank you for creating an opportunity to mingle with other crafty people :) I just love it :)

      Delete
  14. This is so cute! Love how bright the blue is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I do love blue on her :) it makes her eyes even blue-er :) I think I just made up a new word hehe

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.