Birthdays and apples

It was Little Monkey's Birthday recently. I cannot believe she is already three! Little Monkey is growing into a beautiful little girl, and I am incredibly proud of her. I think as a parent I need to be telling her just how much I love her and how awesomely special she is. And I do. Every single day.  Sometimes I put my feelings for her in fabric, threads, zips, buttons, ribbons... you get the idea ;)

I have been admiring Debbie's Birthday dress by Sewpony ever since Suz first posted it on her blog. I appreciate the timeless style. I thought it would look nice on Little Monkey, so While she was sleeping, I made a Debbie's Birthday dress for my daughter.


Little Monkey's dress is made out of lightweight denim. I used printed cotton poplin to line the bodice and to make an apple shaped pocket. The leaf is a small appliqué. I just recently bought a few wooden apple shaped buttons - how lucky!

Little Monkey is into pockets right now. I am pleased to report she was impressed with the pocket on her new dress.


So there we were, in Little Monkey's room. She was busy checking out her new dress, and I was busy admiring my little person. I guarantee I had a goofy smile on my face. Then the following conversation took place:

Me: Тебе нравится новое платье (Do you like your new dress)?
LM: Yes.
Me: Хочешь его одеть (Would you like to put it on)?
LM: No.
Me: Почему (Why)?
LM: I don't want photos.

Oh dear! How was I going to convince her to try it on? It has been cold, windy and wet for a couple of weeks. I offered Little Monkey the chance to go play outside for a little while in her new dress since the rain had stopped. What a sneaky plan! Surprisingly, it worked. Little Monkey declared she needed an umbrella and off she went. I promise the first photo was not set up. It is a co-incidence Little Monkey's umbrella is red!

Little Monkey walked around with her umbrella for a little while, and then decided jumping in puddles was more fun. Being responsible parents, we took as many photos as we could. Oh, we also made sure there were no cars approaching.





After some jumping and giggling Little Monkey remembered she was a big and responsible three year old. She composed herself, and we went home to blow raspberries on each other's tummies and play chasies.


Now Little Monkey's Birthday has been and gone I need to come up with a new excuse to make three outfits for her in one week. Here is a good one - her daddy's Birthday is coming up!


Pin It

21 comments

  1. Such a beautiful little 3 year old! :) And a beautiful birthday dress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I think three is my new fav age/stage :)

      I can't e-mail replies to you anymore... Is it because I switched back to Blogger profile from G+?

      Delete
  2. Awe that's so lovely. I remember when mine were that age, seems like yesterday but my oldest is now 23 and youngest 20 they are still gorgeous but in a different way. Enjoy it while she's little and grab every moment. It whizzes by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate :) It feels like it was only a week ago we brought her home from the hospital :) And look at her now - chatting, jumping off high things, exploring, telling me to 'stay in kitchen' while she goes to the toilet all by herself saying "I do it" :)

      Delete
  3. That first photo with the umbrella is priceless, Jenya!!! The apple pocket is an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my fav photo :) I am so happy it turned out so lovely :) both LM and I like that pocket, too :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous Jenya and great photos!!! thanks for sewing up my pattern:))) Make sure you add your pics to my Debbie's birthday dress flickr group:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz :) I had a lot of fun sewing it :) I will add pics tonight :)

      Delete
  5. AAAwwww!! What a lovely dress. She looks so big!!!
    I have the same problems with pictures. They run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Seriously, how dare they grow up so fast!!
      As for taking pics of running children - can you imagine trying to take reasonable pics before digital cameras?

      Delete
  6. Hi Jenya! You did a great job on the dress! It is so cute! I hope to learn how to sew that well one day! Thanks for sharing! She's adorable! Oh, and you may have to check your profile page and make adjustments so your email will be displayed. I did that when I changed over to Google+! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Felecia :) I am not really that good at sewing, I just love it soooooo much! That's how I get my ME time and keep my sanity... or what's left of it hehe Thanks you for letting me know about my profile - I will go fix it now :) I changed to Google + and back, so may have missed soemthing in the process... Have a fab day :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful dress for a lovely big girl! Just gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the cutest dress and she looks so pretty in it! I love the apple pocket!! It reminds me of a dress I used to wear a lot when I was a kid.
    Those are some fine sewing skills you got there.

    Found you through Submarine Sunday and following you on Bloglovin now.

    xx Del

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much for visiting :) I love linking parties for this very reason - meeting people and mingling :) I had that apple fabric sitting there for a wile. Glad I finally cut into it :)

      Delete
  9. Love the apple pocket! Super clever. She's darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I am a bit of a fan of that little girl ;)

      Delete
  10. Cute! I love that apple pocket!!! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite :) It was fun :) I will come again!!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.