Juniper cardigan, Adrienne skirt and Idyllwild top

I didn't expect that my last three winter makes would go so well together! The patterns are the Adrienne skirt from Style Arc, the Juniper cardigan from Jennifer Lauren Handmade, and the Idyllwild tee from Itch to Stitch.


The Juniper cardigan is one of those patterns I admired for a while. I was most intrigued by the shape of the sleeves. I expected this cardigan to be somewhat complicated to make, but it was actually a rather easy project. The pattern has very clear instructions. There are notches in all the right places to help you along. Jen has a sew-along on her blog, and I would highly recommend to visit it before starting on this cardigan. Jen talks in-depth about important things like fabric choices, sizing and intended fit as well as provides tutorials for various adjustments.


I knew I wanted to make my cardigan from merino. I bought the fabric for this cardigan from The Fabric Store during one of their sales. Premium merino is not cheap, even on sale. I was not going to cut into it without making a trial cardigan. My first muslin was in size 10, which I measured for, made in cheap and nasty polyester sweater knit. I needed a broad shoulder and a small bust adjustments which didn't come as a surprise. You see, I intended to wear my cardi during cooler months over a long sleeved top. I am extremely cold blooded and usually wear a singlet top underneath my long sleeved tops as well, and I felt my trial cardi was a little too fitted for my liking. I made another muslin in size 12 from cotton/elastane knit that Spotlight was selling off for $8/metre. I really liked the way it fit over multiple layers. I tried it with a few high waisted skirts I had in my wardrobe and decided to lengthen the body by 2 cm. Please take note that if you decide to lengthen/shorten the body, you will need to do the same for the front band! I also performed a small bust adjustment following Jen's tutorial.


The most complicated part of construction for me was making the buttonholes. Five buttonholes took me an hour and a half! I had to unpick and re-do three of them! The very bottom buttonhole is still a mess, but it is the best that I could manage. My buttonhole foot refused to go over the bulk of fabric at the bottom of the cardigan, so I resorted to using a clear craft foot, which is listed as another option for sewing buttonholes in my machine's manual. I am sure I got a few more grey hairs in the process, but all's well that ends well.


I must admit there was a point when I got annoyed with myself for choosing striped fabric. What if I didn't match the stripes right! It would be so obvious! I spent a lot of time carefully matching stripes and pinning fabric. I basted the front band in place and did not put it under the knife of my overlocker until I was certain there would not be any unfortunate stripe mis-matching. This took a fair bit of time, but can we just stop and admire the result for a second?


The Adrienne skirt came as a freebie with a top pattern I purchased from Style Arc a little while ago. If you are new to Style Arc you may not be aware that each month they offer two patterns that can be added to your purchase for free, one at a time. This skirt was a queue jumper. I didn't feel I had anything in my wardrobe that went well with it, so I expected it to sit on a shelf for a while until I made something to pair it with.


This skirt is made from the same denim as my Ivy pinafore. The Adrienne was one of the skirts I tried on with a muslin of my Juniper cardigan and was pleased with how well these two items went together. My new skirt didn't have to wait on a shelf for ages after all!


I made the skirt in size 8, widened the waistline by a couple of cm and shaved a little off the curve from the waistline to the hips to accommodate my V shaped body. I opted for a shorter length as I think it suits me better.


The front split on the skirt practically demanded top stitching, so I obliged. In order to achieve precise top stitching I used my magnetic seam guide. I turned to my trusted secret tool, a piece of soap and a ruler, to mark a stitch line along the split, including the V at the top.


The Idyllwild tee has become my go-to pattern for fitted knit tops. I managed to make two basic black tops out of 1.5m of performance knit (90% cotton and 10% elastane) from Spotlight. The time I spent playing Tetris growing up was not wasted!


I get excited when I discover patterns that I want to use multiple times, and I can highly recommend these three for sure!

8 comments

  1. All your makes look SO good and I’m impressed with your muslin process for the cardigan. I’ve literally never managed to make a buttonhole in knit work, so way to go you! The skirt fits you like a glove. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mie. Your kind words mean a lot! I am wondering if using regular interfacing instead of knit would work better for this cardi. The part of the band where they are sewn does not require to be stretched.

      Delete
  2. Wow these are all great! I love the top stitching on the skirt and also the whole outfit. Where did you get your boots? They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz! That top stitching had to be there! haha The boots are a few years old. I can't remember the name of the shop I got them from. It was a chain that got closed around 3 years ago.

      Delete
  3. Everything fits you so well and so well made! Impressive work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit looks so great on you! The topstitching on that skirt is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emi. I like these three items together as well as paired up with a few other things in my wardrobe. I discovered yesterday I have a top already that goes perfectly with the skirt! Woo hoo!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.