Lacey dress from style arc

I have a secret hobby. I like to go 'window shopping' for patterns and fabric. Style Arc is currently one of my favourite sites to visit. They have so many patterns that I love. A few times my 'window shopping' resulted in a purchase. I recently posted about my versions of Style Arc's Courtney top. Today I would like to introduce you to another fab pattern - the Lacey dress.


This pattern is described as an easy slip-on dress with an extended shoulder, square line bodice and slightly gathered skirt. I must admit that I was a little unsure about the shape of the bodice from the description. However curiosity got the best of me and I bought the pattern. I am so glad I did!


After making a muslin I decided to go for a straight size 6. I love the fit of this dress. It is relaxed and oh so comfortable! It is perfect for hot summer days. The dress is also easy to sew. There are no closures, no lining, no darts. The neckline is finished with a facing. Princess seams on the bodice provide lovely shaping and practically invite to do colour blocking or play with the direction of the print.


My dress had pockets but they had to be surgically removed at the eleventh hour. You see, I decided I wanted bigger pockets than those included in the pattern. My pockets need to house car keys, Toby, James, Thomas and a couple of smaller toys on a regular basis. I used the pocket pieces from another pattern, however the other pattern had an A-line skirt and the direction of the straight grain on the pocket pieces was in accordance with that. Of course I cut out my dress late at night and of course I didn't think about the straight grain direction on the alien pocket pieces until the dress was finished. My poor pockets cut to go with an A-line skirt flapped out in a very unflattering way on my rectangle skirt. It took me a while to work out what had gone wrong. When I realised my silly mistake I could only laugh! Redoing pockets very late at night seemed like a mammoth task so I decided to simply cut them out.


I made my dress in striped linen/rayon blend from The Fabric Store. This fabric was on sale for $10/m. I have never worked with linen/rayon blend before and I had no idea what to expect from this fabric, but figured that I was not losing much if I didn't like it and bought some. Guys, this fabric is divine! It feels like linen, and it wrinkles like linen also, yet it has wonderful drape and is oh so soft. It is a little shiftier when cutting compared to ordinary linen, but hey, rayon is a little tricky like that. I am now on a hunt for more linen/rayon fabric!


I love this pattern so much I just bought knit fabric for a winter version of this dress! Oh yes, it can be made in woven or knit fabrics, how wonderful is that! But while it is still hot I will do a little more 'window shopping' on Style Arc. I will show you the result, I promise ;)

13 comments

  1. I really like the look of your dress - I love loose, drapey dresses in summer. I was eyeing off that fabric at The Fabric Store (my favourite store) but didn't end up getting any. I'm disappointed now as the fabric really looks beautiful in your dress. A beautiful, well made and well fitting dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nola. This dress is sooo good in summer! I bought some lightweight ponte also from the Fabric store to make a knit version for Autumn :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, I'm so excited to make my Lacey Dress...one day...soon! It looks great on you. Perfect fit. And just a tip: Brussels Washer linen from Robert Kaufman is also a rayon/linen blend and divine. It doesn't come in prints though. Only solid colors and yard dyed which is still solid but a bit speckled too...if that make sense?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mie. I have a feeling you will love this pattern! Thank you for the tip on linen! As much as I love linen, linen/rayon is even nicer!

      Delete
  3. I am also a compulsive window shopper ...

    The dress looks so breezy and summery! Linen/rayon is a lovely substrate; Joann's sells it in a few different shades and I've made some summer things out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Good to know I am in good company! I am feeling somewhat jealous you can get your hands on this beautiful fabric so easily! I am googling where I can get it locally.

      Delete
  4. Love your dress! I think I might buy that pattern too! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Sylvia. It is a lovely pattern indeed, I hope you will enjoy it too!

      Delete
  5. This dress looks so good on you! I too enjoy window shopping for patterns - and fabric, heh heh. I love the fabric you chose for it (and yay that you can make it in knit, too). I just might have to get this pattern. Once I've sewn all the million others that I now own... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha pattern and fabric window shopping can be a little dangerous haha Glad to know I am in good company!

      Delete
  6. It is so wonderful to see such a light breezy dress shot in the warmth of the summer sun, when my fingertips are freezing here in North America. haha. :) Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha Thank you Jodi! We will be swapping places soon enough and I will be jealous seeing your pics taken in the sunshine while seating under a heater vent hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress Jenya (and I can't believe how long I haven't been here). What a pretty colour on you! I am thinking of buying this right away and will probably give the pockets a slip as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.