Plantain t-shirt

Hi, my name is Jenya. I am the last person in the sewing universe to discover how truly wonderful the Plantain Tee is. I bet you have already seen a lot of beautiful creations made with this free pattern by Deer and Doe.


I love the shape of this tee. It hugs the body nicely around the shoulders and the bust, and flairs out a little around the tummy/heaps area which makes it very flattering. The comfort level of this tee is off the charts!


I started working on this tee a few weeks ago but couldn't finish it as my sewing machine forgot how to sew! About three years ago I picked up a Janome Memory Craft 6000 from an op shop for only $40. To my knowledge it was the first computerised Janome machine. My machine is currently at a local service centre. I am sewing on my little Elna 1000 again. It was my first sewing machine. It had a temper tantrum last time I sewed knit fabric on it so I thought I would wait until my Janome would get fixed before finishing the tee... but then it happened...


We were planning a family trip to the Melbourne Aquarium to celebrate Miss R starting school. It was a cold weekend and it looked like neither of the clothes that I washed would dry in time. What was one to do? Finish the tee, of course. I think I held my breath the entire time I was topstitching the neckband! Hemming the sleeves and the bottom of the tee went smoothly also. Phew!


I believe that the fabric I used played a big role at how comfortable and wearable this tee turned out to be. I cut into my precious Art Gallery knit I purchased from House of Cloth. The print is called Bon Voyage Lumiere. I purchased this fabric using a voucher a few of my sewing friends got for me when baby L was born. Ladies, I can't thank you enough!


I felt very awkward posing for the photos so my big girlie decided to keep me company. Isn't she sweet :) Miss R is wearing the Dear Prudence dress by Sewpony Vintage and a cardigan knitted by my mum. Miss R and I like hanging out in our handmade clothes. Well, we just like hanging out together :)


I love my Plantain tee so much I am planning on using this pattern again. So far I pre-washed fabric for three more tees. I am just wondering how many Plantain tees would be too many...

16 comments

  1. I love the pic of you two girlies... I really must get into sewing basics, but I'm scared of knits....And I love that you sewed a t-shirt, because your laundry wasn't dry! That's hilarious! - only something us sewing frenzy addict mums would do x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, and very cute fabric! I have drafted my own T-shirt pattern, but don't get around to actually sewing one!!! Really should make it happen this week as it's still pretty hot in Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Four Plantains is just barely a minimum - definitely not too many :) It looks great on you and I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last photo is so precious! And you must only be the 2nd last person to use the pattern, I have wanted to forever but haven't gotten around to it! It looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good plain tees are the best! The shape is beautiful and the neck is just perfect! You girls are the cutest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You felt awkward? It sure doesn't show. These are wonderful pictures of you and you are one beautfiul woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got your knit-sewing machine back ;) Though it looks as though your first machine did a splendid job (or, more likely, YOU did)! And your photographs are just lovely. You look gorgeous and I love the photo with your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos of you jenya and I love your new top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are so gorgeous, jenya!! love the tee. And you are not the last person to make this tee- I AM! I've had the pattern printed for a year....

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look so good, beautiful pics! I didn't know this pattern, you're not the last one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look stunning! And I love the photo of you and R! That is one to cherish! The tee looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun fabric, such a cute T! You make a great model, Jenya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great, Jenya! Fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep meaning to try this pattern. it looks so wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know why I only read this blog post now, but it's never too late to tell you I absolutely love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really like the t-shirt Jenya and you & R as well of-course! Do you sew for others? Ria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.