Button hair clips and tutorial

It is not a secret that both Little Monkey and I are addicted to buttons. I sew buttons on everything - clothes, shoes, accessories. However, one of my favourite thing to use buttons for is to make hair clips for Little Monkey.


A cute accessory that costs next to nothing and only takes a couple of minutes to make? Yes please! Would you like to know how I make mine? Just click on Read more.

All I use is:
  • 2-3 buttons. I prefer four-hole buttons, but have made hair clips with two-hole buttons as well;
  • Coordinating or contrasting cotton;
  • Hair clip with square-ish end;
  • Needle.
No, I do not use a hot glue gun. I started making these clips when my daughter put everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - in her mouth. I was not sure she would not chew the buttons off the hair clips if they were glued on, but I knew I could sew them on securely.




I put buttons one on top of the other, matching the holes.


Thread the needle so there are two strands, tie the knot in the end and put the needle through one of the holes in the buttons.


I put the needle through another hole, diagonal to the original, and pull the thread until there is only a small 'tail' left with the knot on it.


I pull the needle between two strands of thread and pull.


Now my buttons won't move all over the place while I sew them to the hair clip.

Next, I line up the holes on buttons with slots on the hair clip.


Then I sew my buttons on the hair clip. Yeah, really that easy! There might be a little wiggling of the needle involved.





I also make sure that my thread crosses the top of the hair clip a few times while I sew the buttons on.



Almost done. I just need to tie a knot.


I tie it across all the strands of thread to pull them all together.



Hide the end, chop off excess thread.


Ta-da! Done!


Can you think of a quicker project? I cannot.


Now, why stop at just one?


Pin It

17 comments

  1. Those are super cute! We're in ponytail mode over here, but I'm sure my daughter will get back into clips at some point, and when she does I'll try this out. I love buttons, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Little Monkey wears ponytails a lot as well, but her fringe gets in her eyes without a clip, so I still have an excuse to keep on making more :) Oh buttons are so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! This could satisfy my 'make' addiction and displace any urge to cut up fabric/woolly sweater! Thank you Jenya! And Missy's hair is always, always untameable. We go through lots and lots of clips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria :) Making clips is not as much fun as cutting up jumpers, but it is good fun, oh and beware - it is very addictive!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial, I will do a couple. Let see if my little girl let me put them in her head!!!! She is not a girly girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Carolina :) I was surprised when LM let me pin her hair up when she was little! She loves her hair clips and picks whichever one (or two or a dozen) she wants to wear :) So cute :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I've been making them with felt, but this is much quicker!! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love felt hair clips, but I have not made any yet! Will have to give it a go I think :)

      Delete
  5. Now if only my daughter would grow some hair! At this point I need a ziplock type of a clip to hold on her tiny little hairs ;) But so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're so cute I think I need to make some stat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I'm trying to get my daughter used to hair clips, she keeps ripping them off :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh :( She might like hairclips more when she is a little older :)

      Delete
  8. Totally cute. I just made some button hair clips for my daughters Lalaloopsy party this weekend. I glued mine but if I had time (and could be bothered!) I think sewing gives a better finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your daughter had a great party! I think sewing them on is qicker. Maybe it's just my hot gloe gun - it feels like it takes forever for it to warm up!

      Delete
  9. Wow. These hairclips are so cute!!! Now that my little daughter's fringe is long enough, I might make these for her and hope she won't rip it out!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.