Define special

I love sewing for my daughter. I think I start every post with this statement. Well, that is because I love sewing for my daughter :)

Little Monkey was 13 months old when I started sewing for her. When she was little she didn't care what clothes I chose for her. Things have changed since then. Little Monkey is growing into a beautiful little girl. She has her own likes and dislikes which she voices with a lot of passion, and mind you, these likes and dislikes tend to change every now and then!

A couple of months ago as we were getting ready for work and childcare I asked Little Monkey what she wanted to wear. She said, 'Special dress'. I thought I knew exactly what she was talking about and pulled out this dress:


This dress has been Little Monkey's favourite for some time because of the funky pockets and the bird print. She shook her head and said, 'Not this one. I want a special dress'.

There was another dress I made just a few weeks earlier. It had an awesome pocket on it as well. I showed it to Little Monkey.


'No', she said. 'Not this one. I want a special dress'.

At that point I was convinced she was talking about her Dr Seuss dress. She picked fabric for it herself and has been wanting to wear it day and night. So I got it out.


To my surprise Little Monkey declared that was not the dress she wanted either. She hopped off the bed, came up to her wardrobe, moved me out of the way, still saying, 'I want a special dress. This one'... she pulled out a peasant top. A peasant top I made last year to restore my sewjo after I messed up a simple project.


Free pattern here
Little Monkey has grown a little (ok, a lot) since last summer, so the top was a little short. She didn't want to hear anything about it. She wanted her 'special dress'. So what is a sewing mama to do? Make 'a special dress' longer of course. So While she was sleeping, I added a wide band to the bottom to make it longer.




I cannot believe that Little Monkey chooses this top over much more exciting outfits I have made since. When she can't wear this top because it is in the wash, she is almost devastated.

Kids clothes week is starting on Monday. I am planning to make a couple of things for Little Monkey. Let's see if I can make something that will outshine a simple peasant top!


Pin It

24 comments

  1. That is so sweet! I love love love when kids get in their mind something so specific and you just can't follow their logic. But their enthusiasm and determination is infectious, isn't it? What a great idea to lengthen the shirt. Good thing it still fit on top! Thank heavens for crafty mamas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Niki. Kids' logic is amazing (not that I can always follow it haha). I love all the funny things she says :)

      Delete
  2. I love it Jenya! I love hearing how other kids have opinions too, and how they are definitely not what we would think! She sounds just like my two. And I like that peasant top a lot...good fix on lengthening it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. Yes sometimes it makes me giggle how we think kids would like one thing, and they go for something completely different! I still have a little bit of that birdie fabric left and I want to make a new dress for her out of it. The fabric is the reason she loved the top so much - my daughter is the biggest bird lover on the face of the earth!

      Delete
  3. Jenya your posts always make me smile :) You have captured this small part of the life of a mother so perfectly - although most mothers would not have been able to solve the too short dress issue as easily and as stylishly as you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee :) Isn't it nice to be able to fix your child's favourite item of clothing :) Or better yet - create it :)

      Delete
  4. Awwww, so cute :) It's amazing, I feel like as soon as I finally get a grip on what my kid likes, he goes and completely changes his preferences. At least her special shirt was still something that Mommy made, that must feel fantastic! Good job on extending its shelf life ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelf life, sandpit life, going down the slide life :) Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. The fabric on that peasant top is great- and nice job adding the band! I should think about that next spring to get a little more wear out of some tops. And keeping up with changing kid preferences can be a trick at times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're just getting to that stage too. It's very....ummm...interesting! I love the idea of lengthening a favourite top. I'll store that tip away in the back of my mind until it's needed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. It sure is an interesting stage :) I feel I really have to think hard and choose patterns and materials carefully. Does your little girl favour anything specific at the moment?

      Delete
  7. Kids often choose some unexpected favourites, don't they. Great save by adding the band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam :) At least it is a mummy-made favourite, not a store bought hehe

      Delete
  8. Hehe so cute! I love the way you told that story xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ange :) LM provides a lot of stories to tell every day :) I call her my walking entertainment unit :)

      Delete
  9. What a great post! I agree sometimes kid's favorites are totally baffling! Love the band you added at the bottom she looks adorable in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job mom...my (just turned) 13 yr old still has favorites that I make over so she can continue to wear them. Get used to it!!! oh and her favorites and mine clash at this age. We are learning to compromise,,,,,,I think/hope LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. Compromising is good! it saves sanity hehe

      Delete
  11. It is a very lovely & special peasant top though! Made even cuter with the lengthening band - great idea! Have fun in KCW, wish I could join in, but not to be this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. To be honest, I actually like this top better now :)
      Well, technically you are sewing for kids, so why not join KCW?

      Delete
  12. Peasant tops and dresses are awesome. So sweet and comfortable. The fabric in that one is adorable. No wonder she likes it!

    Can't wait to see what you make for KCW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane :) I just finished the first project for KCW. I was certain LM would LOVE it... I am not too sure now... But then again all she wanted to do when she woke up was to play with her trains, not to try a new dress on... I guess I will know more tomorrow :)

      Are you participating in KCW?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.