Yummy piping

It is pretty cold in my corner of the world right now. Oh yes, I can feel cold even though I am Russian!

Winter is a perfect season for knitted gorgeousness. Unfortunately I cannot knit. I would not be able to knit the most basic thing if I had to save my life. So what can a sewing person do in the middle of a knitting season? Sew something, of course!

Last summer I started looking for patterns produced by independent designers. I came across Puperita's patterns, and fall in love with them. After initial contact with Puperita we continued chatting and discovered we had a lot in common. I purchased a few patterns, and Puperita was very generous and gave me a few more of her patterns as a present. I used a number of Puperita's patterns and recommend them to my fellow sewaholics.


Yummy dress was one of the patterns Puperita has given me. Last summer I made a dress for Little Monkey using a Yummy dress pattern, and it turned out great.


It really is a wonderful pattern. The fit is perfect, the instructions are clear, the style is timeless.

So, While she was sleeping, I made another Yummy dress for my Little Monkey. I used corduroy fabric with birdies and flowers printed on it that Little Monkey had chosen herself. I wanted to showcase the pockets on this dress so I got adventurous and used piping for the first time ever! I made the dress one size bigger so that Little Monkey could stay warm by wearing a few layers underneath. It should still fit her well when it gets warm again.



When I showed the new dress to Little Monkey, she said it was pretty. However when I offered for her to put it on, she said no. And it wasn't just a no, it was a NO! My heart sank. How could she not like it?

I suggested that Little Monkey could take her favourite toys with her anywhere in this dress... She quickly worked out how :)



Once she realised just how fun those pockets were, she didn't want to take the dress off!



 I love this cheeky face :)


The back is not very neat, but hey - it was my first go at sewing with piping :)

I mentioned that the dress is one size bigger than Little Monkey needs at the moment. This is how she can wear mummy-made dresses during a jumper season without hiding them - whoo hoo!!!



Pin It

21 comments

  1. A gorgeous dress, Jenya!!! I just LOVE those big pockets and the white piping finishes is off perfectly. I'll have to check out Puperita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Pam :) The funniest thing happened a day after these photos were taken. We had a quiet day at home as Little Monkey was sick. I dressed her in trackies and a top, and she came up to me with her cars, and said, "No pockets, mummy. No pockets". It was soooo cute :) The pockets in the photos in the blog post look a bit bulky as there is a car in each pocket in every photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful...I love corduroy and piping too, and the colors and print on this are so cute. I too love Puperita's patterns...my daughter is older so I don't get to use them very often.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I treasure every moment I get to spend with my little girl now as I think next time I blink she will be going to uni! or at least primary school :) well, maybe I don't treasure tired tantrums or being woken up before sunrise as much hahaha

      Delete
  4. It is beautiful!! Like the piping pockets. I'll check Puperita patterns. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I am on a mission to find some cool piping :) I was admiring your rompers yesterday - they turned out so lovely :)

      Delete
  5. I love cord! Great dress. The piping adds a fantastic touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The PIPING! My daughter would love those pockets, too. Thanks for linking to your blog, and for being a FB follower! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing what you make :) My daughter now asks for pockets hahaha I think for the next gazillion years I will be putting pockets on everything :) After making this dress I think I will be getting more adventurous with trims.

      Delete
  7. The dress is beautiful. The piping adds a really nice touch. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both dresses are gorgeous! The piping really catches the eye on the second. Nice work on both!
    PS: My daughter loves Lightning McQueen too and sleeps with the car in her crib. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes Lightning goes to bed with my little girl, too :)

      Delete
  9. This turned out gorgeous! And I love it when a girl plays with the boys toys...my daughter loves her girls clothes, but does not let them stop her from playing in the mud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing in the mud is the best! hahaha My daughter and I like 'cooking; in the sandpit... She is yet to master the art of pretend eating :) I am sure there is some nutritional value in sand?

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous green dress. Love, love, love it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't believe I haven't stumbled on your blog sooner! I adore piping! It tends to find its way onto most things I make. And I love corduroy (Pop over to my Cloth of Kings post). This dress combines both! Very, very sweet. It makes me even (slightly) look forward to winter returning to this side of the globe, so my datghter can start wearing corduroy again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria :) I came across your blog recently and started following you on FB. I comment under my name, not under my blog name, so there is no wonder our blogging paths haven't crossed until now :) Lovely to see you here, and thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.