My sewing room

I love seeing other people's sewing spaces. I don't know why I am so curious to see where people work and create. It's like being able to take a peek at what is going on behind the scenes!



Christina of 2 Little Hooligans is running the Sewing Spaces series where participants show and talk about their sewing rooms, corners and basements. I am excited to invite you guys over to my sewing room today :)

Just like almost all of my sewing friends I started my adventures in stitching on our dining table. It was not very comfortable, there were extension leads running in every direction and my fabric and patterns were threatening to overtake our eating space. I started craving a place I could call my own.

We lived in a three bedroom house, and I thought I could occupy a guest room. However a spare double bed was already occupying it, and there was no room for anything else! I got my sweetest husband on my side and we got rid of the bed base and tucked the mattress under our bed where it is very happy and only comes out when we have visitors.

My sewing space evolved over time. We recently moved into a new house and I now have a bigger room (almost) all to myself! The aforementioned mattress still makes a rare appearance, but this room is much bigger and I don't need to tuck my sewing supplies away so our guests can move around the room.

So, this is my sewing space. This is where I regain my sanity while Little Monkey is asleep. This is where I stitch late into the night sacrificing my (much needed) beauty sleep. It is nothing glamorous, but I am happy here.




Hardly anything in this room is new. I use a second hand office desk as my sewing table. I have enough room for my sewing machine, an overlocker, and as of a few weeks ago, a computer. My chair is thrifted as well.

Now I have mentioned my sewing machine and overlocker, would you like to have a closer look?

Please meet Mrs. Jan, aka Janome Memory Craft 6000.


This lovely lady is only 25-30 years old. I have been told this is the second computerised model. I got this machine from an op shop last year. I had it serviced, and it has been my faithful companion ever since. It has all the functions I was looking for, and I could not be happier.

Almost two years ago I bought myself an overlocker (serger). It is Janome My Lock 744D, and I am not secretly in love with it. I cannot imagine not having an overlocker now.


Sewing is a great hobby, but it requires a lot of storage space! Here is how I store my things.


The filing cabinet was purchased second hand also. I store all my stationery and patterns in it. The wire basket thing was purchased at Ikea a few years ago. I keep all my cottons, bobbins, trims, interfacing, and 'you name it' there.

I am rapidly running out of room to store my patterns. Because I now have a computer I could get rid of all the printed instructions for my PDF patterns, but this is only a temporary solution as the girls from Willow and Co have just announced a sale...


All my fabric fits in a built in wardrobe... Just!!!


But wait, there is more!


At first I had all my fabric sorted by colour. It was pretty, but it did not last. This way works well for me. I know what fabrics have already been pre-washed and what still need to have a date with my washing machine.

My first sewing machine, Elna 1000, is resting here as well. So as the first cape I made for myself, the one that ended up too small. I am going to cut it up and use this beautiful wool to make a coat for Little Monkey... eventually!


I love having a wardrobe dedicated to my things! There is a shelf in it that is just big enough to hold a small book shelf! OK, a shelf on a shelf might sound ridiculous at first, but just check out how much room it saved! I still have one and a half shelves to fill!


This little book shelf was the first item of furniture that I bought when I came to Bendigo in 2003. I put it together using an Allen key and a cheap frying pan. True story.

Because we have only moved in a few weeks ago we have not had a chance to put anythings on the walls. Still, there are a few special things in this room.

One needs light to sew late into the night. My husband got me this funky lamp last year. I just love it!


I love photos and managed to find a spot for a couple of my favourites - my sweetest husband and I taken a few years ago in Adelaide at the brass band competition (we both played in the same band), and my mum. A while ago Little Monkey and I went through the stage of printing our hands. Well, Little Monkey was addicted to it, and I played along. I wanted to preserve the memories of us getting covered in paint while having a lot of fun, so I framed one print.


Look at these! These are very special little things! My husband made the fox pin cushion for me. He got a kit from Bob Boutique in Bendigo and made it for me all by himself. He must really love me!

I kept on losing the track of time sewing, so he got me a funky red alarm clock. I have a few self-imposed rules when it comes to sewing, so now I have a clock I can stop before 1 am!


My sister in law got me this mug, and I use it to store pens, pencils, fabric markers, scissors... So cute and handy! I think the older I get the more sentimental I become!


And that is it. Nothing glamorous, but I am happy in this space. I am sure I will change things around here many more times, but there is no hurry.

Thank you Christina for having me. It's been a pleasure to open the door to my sewing room to all of you!

Pin It

29 comments

  1. Impressive that your husband made you a pin cushion, Jenya!!! Great idea to store patterns in a filing cabinet - much easier to sort through than mine, which are in boxes. Enjoy your new sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam :) Yes I love being able to 'flip' through my patterns :) I may have to think of a different solution soon though... I bet it will still be something 'budget' hehe

      Delete
    2. Hi Jenya, I've featured your sewing room today...

      Delete
  2. ahhh your fabric is so neatly stored. Mine is hiding all over the house - some in the laundry, some in the sewing room, some in a random chest of drawers under the stairs.... I think it helps me in my delusion that I don't have enough....;) Your hubby sounds like the sweetest guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee. Yes I am rather fond of my sweetest husband ;) Oh don'\t you worry, when it comes to picking fabric it is EVERYWHERE! I need to be able to spread it to see it properly... Then LM comes to check out what I have. Likely now my fabric is hidden. When it was just on a shelf in our old house she would just come in and her herself to whatever she liked (which was super cute). It really is amazing how many 'blankets' a few dinos and cars need hahaha

      Delete
  3. An Allen key and a frying pan....I know we would be DIY/craft BFFs lol! I love looking at craft spaces too, yours is lovely. I also have an old janome but a different model they just keep going. Thanks for showing us your space :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I was trying to save up for a new Janome Memory Craft when I came across this one... $1400 vs $40... Easy! OH yeah, frying pans have to many hidden uses ;)

      Delete
  4. I also love seeing peoples sewing spaces and yours looks so simple and organized. Perfect for creating! Mine is a shared space with my bedroom so it's a bit cramped but still functions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think no matter where our sewing space is, it is our happy zone, hey?

      Delete
  5. That looks very nicely organised. A very comfortable spot to spend the evenings! I'm still occupying the dining room table because if I'd have my very own sewing space, no one would see me anymore, I'd be in there all the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I htink there are nights I hardly get to see my husband I am in my hideaway hehe

      Delete
  6. A man who made a pincushion is awesome! You are really tidy, I wish I was good at that! I love M&M guys! Thank you for having us in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, I know I am a lucky girl :) He is an awesome man :)

      Delete
  7. oh i finally get to see the rest of it! it is such a great space. i still love that red lamp but i will have to say the pin cushion is the best!! what a great hubby. thanks again for sharing your space with us jenya! it is always so fun having a peek where everyone creates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Christina :) My daughter keeps on trying to claim that pincushion, but she will not get it, no way :) I insist it is mine haha Thank you for organising the series, I agree it is always fun to have a peek at other's creating spaces!

      Delete
  8. So neat and organised ... I'm green with envy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha :) This place does look somewhat different when I am trying to pick fabric for the next project!

      Delete
  9. I have the IKEA wire baskets thing too :). I use it to try and contain my WIPs and my mending list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basket is great, isn't it? I think I had it for at least 6 years. Maybe in many times our Ikea wire baskets will become collectors' items?

      Delete
  10. Wow...it's so clean, and organized! I need to work on keeping my sewing area clean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me time Teresa, we have only been in this house for 2 months :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your system with us! I am in need of organization tips. I've been wanting file cabinets for all of my paper patterns for a long while. I feel like I'm always unburying my sewing table. Organization definitely does not come naturally to me. But with all we have going on, it's a must. I will definitely be coming back to this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. Filing cabinets are great for storing patterns. So convenient. I especially love using the wardrobe - even when it gets messy in there I can just close it, and the room look tidy again ;)

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing Debbie-Ann :) Isn't it wonderful to have a space where you are happy? The floor in my sewing room is currently covered with fabric for the next project! My daughter thinks jumping on fabric is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww, the pincushion is adorable!! My husband is not handy, so I will wait forever for something like that, hihi!!! Is great to have a space just for sewing, I had one but now is Little Girl's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just picked up a New Home (Janome) Memory Craft 6000. Would you still recommend yours? I'm currently very sewing machine "rich" so it's not like I need it, LOL! It seems to have all the parts (minus accessory box) and works fine except for stitches that reverse (penguin, alligator, circles, etc). I have a honkin' big Janome that does all that so it's not the end of the world. This is just such a cool machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I still love mine! Mine works fine, and I am guessing it is over 30 years old now? I get it serviced regularly. The adjustable presser foot is one of my fave features. I could never go back to a machine that hasn't got one. I just hope this little machine will keep on going for many more years! I hope you will enjoy yours :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.