Lotta skirt

I started working on a pair of jeans for Miss R a few weeks ago. She said she would not wear them. So I made her a skirt instead.



This is a slightly modified version of the Lotta skirt* pattern by Compagnie M. I made the front of the skirt as per the instructions, however altered the back to fit my daughter's body. The pattern calls for an invisible zipper at the back of the skirt and offers a possibility to make the waistband adjustable by adding elastic. Miss R has tiny waist and hips. She would have needed an adjustable waist for the skirt to stay on properly. Experience shows that most of the time she does not use zippers anyway - adjustable waistbands provide her enough room to wiggle out of clothing without worrying about closures. So I eliminated the zipper and replaced the back waistband pieces with a rectangle 2/3 length of the adjusted back piece and threaded the elastic through. To adjust the back piece I simply subtracted the centre seam allowance and cut it on fold. I am sorry I do not have any photos of the waistband!


I made this skirt from denim chambray I bought from Spotlight a long time ago. I got 6 or 7 metres of it. I have made a few things from this fabric already (Bumblebee dress for my niece, Dear Prudence dress for Miss R, Everyday skirt for yours truly, Yummy dress for Baby L, Miss Polly dress for Miss R). I originally bought this fabric hoping to make a couple of dresses for myself, but now might only have enough for one. I guess I will have to buy 7 more metres next time this fabric is on sale! I am not too sure if I am kidding! Ha!

Accent fabric are left overs after making a rainbow Tinny dress.


How cute is the doggie jumper! My mum made it. She is a super talented knitter. Miss R calls this jumper her Happy jumper. It is names after our dog Happy. Thank you mum! Mwah!


I cut size 4 width with size 7 length hoping to be able to sew a wide hem. However by altering the waistband I made the skirt sit higher than the pattern intended. Before hemming the skirt I got Miss R to try it on and it was nowhere near as long as I expected. In fact, I did not have enough length to do even a narrow folded hem! I had to giggle as, once again, by trying to make things easy I managed to over-complicate an otherwise super simple project. No reason to panic though. I had enough left over rainbow fabric to create a facing and take the fun factor of the skirt up a notch. I just love it how the rainbow of colours is visible when Miss R moves!


I am very pleased with how this skirt turned out. Miss R is pretty happy with it also.


This girl hates pants but wearing dresses and skirts never stopped her from monkeying around, riding her bike or a scooter, climbing, going down the slides and everything else in between. 


I still feel the urge to sew some cool pants. Perhaps I should make a couple of pairs for Baby L before she decides that she is anti-pants also!


 * indicated affiliated links.

14 comments

  1. So cute! Love those little pocket flaps and the matching facing is actually a fabulous design detail even though you didn't set out with it in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg. Miss R absolutely loves her 'rainbow triangles' fabric so she was beyond happy to have it hiding underneath her skirt :)

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty skirt with those little glimpses of colour. I agree with Meg, that hem facing is the perfect detail! I was out looking for some chambray today; will have to go check at Spotlight :) Your mum's dog jumper is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marisa :) Our Spotlight has it on and off. Actually, I am not 100% sure it is technically chambray. It feels and looks like it, so that's what I call it. I can't remember what the tag said.

      Delete
  3. I can just see you rushing to Spotlight next time denim chambray is on special, Jenya. Let me know if you do see a sale, as it's a fabric I've never sewn with, but I love the look of it. Not sure that I'd buy several metres, though... LOL!!! The skirt looks great with the awesome happy jumper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha OK :) Although it might be a while before I head to Spotlight :) In our store one has to dig to get to/through rolls of fabric. This fabric is there on and off. I can't actually remember if the tag said it was chambray, but it looks and feels like it, so I am sticking with my label hehe

      Delete
  4. Ha yes, hurry up and make all the pants before they start thinking too much about it! This is such a lovely skirt and I'm glad to hear that it all worked out! That hem facing might not have been planned but it certainly is a gorgeous detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mie :) I'd better hurry up and male all the cool pants then :D

      Delete
  5. My daughter won't wear pants, nor legging, so she seems to simply ignore the cold! I bought her some loose fitting pants (almost like harem pants) and she does like them as they allow her to move. Love the skirt and your mum is obviously very talented too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loose fitting pants might be the way to go. I keep on using this one pattern to make pants for her that she wears, they are pretty roomy. Well, 'wears' is a bit of a loose term when it comes to pants :)

      Delete
  6. too precious. I love the surprise hem and pocket accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. I love the shape of the pockets, and the hem facing was unplanned but turned out to be a fun little detail :)

      Delete
  7. I kind of forgot about this awesome skirt. It looks so cute on her. R looks adorable in it! Those pockets are so awesome, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a sweet cute skirt. Comfy, simple to make, and has awesome pockets!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.