Safari raglan t-shirts

How do you feel about sewing basics? Everyday sort of things?


Since I started sewing with knits more Miss R discovered the beauty and comfort of stretchy fabric and has been asking to make her things from 't-shirt fabric' as she calls it. I have made her a few things last summer however got too relaxed about sewing for her since Miss R started school. She wears school uniform five days a week and sewing too many things seemed useless. Weather stayed warm for a while so Miss R had a few things to change into after school, and I didn't want to sew clothes for Autumn ahead of time.


However I got too relaxed and when Autumn arrived overnight Miss R had nothing to change into after school! She had two pairs of leggings and the only long sleeved top in her current size in the washing basket. Sewing mama to the rescue!


While she was sleeping, I made a Safari raglan tee by Titchy Threads for Miss R. She inconveniently measures between a few sizes. Her chest measurement puts her between sizes 3 and 4 (56 cm), but the girlie inherited my broad shoulders which seem to feel better in a bigger size. I decided to sew size 5 tee for her, however I added 2 cm to the length of the body of the tee as I was a little worried that cutting size 6 length would end up too long (Miss R is around 110 cm tall).


I made the blue tee first to see how it would fit. It is made from cotton/spandex jersey purchased from my local Spotlight. Well done Spotlight! I bought a couple of metres of this fabric planning to make a few things for both of my girlies. I was a little worried Miss R might not like it, but she loves it! Apparently this is the most perfect shade of 'shiny' blue, and the birdies printed on fabric make it irresistible. Ribbing came from Spotlight also and matches the colour of irresistible birdies perfectly.


Once Miss R tried the blue Safari raglan on I knew I could make another one without any other modifications. The tee had a little room to grow but did not look too big. I certainly didn't want to size down as I would like these tees to last a few months.


The purple tee was made from two jersey tops I bought dirt cheap when I first started sewing for the purpose of cutting them up into something else. I used existing hem of the lilac top. It is slightly curved which is not noticeable when the top is on. I was hoping the effect would be more pronounced to be honest. Yellow ribbing is from MaaiDesign.


By the way, don't you just love Miss R's colour coordinating and print matching skills? She picked two different socks that have the same shade of blue to wear. I love it when she does things like this.


The Safari raglan tee is such an easy and fun pattern! I have heard that Laura is a brilliant pattern maker, well now I got to experience her work. I have her Small Fry Skinny Jeans and Twisted Trousers patterns but have not sewed them yet... Small Fry Skinny Jeans may or may not be sitting on my cutting (aka dining) table as we speak ;)


There is only one thing missing in this pattern - a warning that it is extremely addictive! I used it four times in the space of five days!


This lounge dress was made from gifted French Terry. I was too lazy to print out a larger size to accommodate for thicker and less stretchy fabric so made it in size 5 also and lengthened the body of the dress by 3 cm. I thought this could be a cute little dress to wear to relax around home. I underestimated the magical combination of pink and comfort though. Miss R loves this dress and wears it everywhere! It actually looks very cute paired up with leggings and runners!

If you are following me on Instagram than you already know that Baby L got a special Safari Raglan jumper! As soon as Miss R saw it she placed an order for one for herself! So I guess there will be a few more Safari raglan tops made in this household!

13 comments

  1. Lovely tops Jenya! And thanks for the link ;) I'm going to have to do the same when I get back home. All 3 kids are in uniforms now so they have not had any new clothes for a while (especially the boys). So with winter fast approaching I'll be making raglan T-shirts in multiples! And planning on making Hudson pants too to put on after school... or I may be way too ambitious again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear really good things about Hudsons. I will need to check out the pattern. I am planning on making trackies from a free pattern by Elephants and Elegance. I decided to use at least one free pattern a month for Project Sew It hosted by Celina from Petit a Petit and Family :) Have you heard about it?

      Delete
  2. Yes, I LOVE sewing basics - that is 90 percent of my sewing these days. I find it really satisfying to sew the things that my kids wear all the time. And the shirts and dress look great; I particularly like the combination of purples with the yellow neckband. So fun! Did you like sewing with the French terry? It's such a nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the feeling of satisfaction is unreal! I bought some lovely merino on crazy sale last year, so there will be a lot more basics made here soon! Although I do feel that I want to get my teeth into something challenging after making a few quick and easy things. French terry was so easy to sew! Judging by Miss R's addiction to her new dress (there is no other word) it is also very comfy. I have a little bit of this fabric left, perhaps enough for a romper for the bubs :)

      Delete
  3. I don't love sewing basics, but I do LOVE your safari raglans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marisa. It was easier to sew a couple of tees than to get the baby ready and remind my 5 y.o. to put her shoes on twenty times to go to the shops hahaha

      Delete
  4. I love sewing basics, mostly because I love seeing my kids wearing clothes I've made on a regular basis! And I love this pattern too. I agree - SUPER addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something special about mama-made basics, hey? I much prefer seeing my girlies in mama-mades than store bought things, basics included.

      Delete
  5. These are all so perfect! I think I will have to do a lot of back-to-basics type sewing soon, too, as my older daughter has outgrown a lot of her t-shirts and shorts that she wears with her school uniform. I love this pattern and I totally agree - very addictive! Laura is one of the absolute best pattern makers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing basics with occasional more complicated things is what is ahead of me this winter I think. I am pleased I am in good company :)

      Delete
  6. This is so weird - I thought I commented on this already! Maybe I started and got Hazel-ed. :P I enjoy sewing with knits, because they are easy, but I don't enjoy sewing basics very much. That said, the result is very satisfying, isn't it? Lovely photos and knits! You are a sewing rockstar, especially with a new babe! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha this happens to me all the time! Knits are quickly becoming a huge hit in this house! Such comfy fabric. I definitely prefer sewing more complicated projects, but basics is what my girlies need at the moment, and to me there is a strange feeling of satisfaction from being able to make them something simple they can wear anytime anywhere, overnight :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you Amy :) I think I am far from being a pro at sewing knits, but I definitely get more confident with each new thing. I also discovered my new best friend when it comes to sewing knits - the adjustable presser foot! Oh man, my machine is simply not allowed to break, ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.