An ode to laziness

Laziness moves the world forward. True thing guys. How do you feel when you misplace your remote control? Do you enjoy being able to move around while talking to someone on the phone? Who does not feel lost when their washing machine breaks down? There was no particular need to invent a remote control, a cordless phone or a washing machine. These things just made life easier.

Apparently Bill Gates said, "I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job... because he will find an easy way to do it". So, how do I apply for a job at Microsoft? Because after completing this project I feel my chances are pretty good!



It all began when I decided to make a winter version of the Norah dress. I had some cute corduroy that in my opinion was perfect for this project. It is difficult to put R's opinion in words because she did not say anything when I showed her this fabric. She just took it out of my hands, gave it a big hug and ran to put it in her wardrobe where she keeps all her favourite fabric from my stash. It was safe to assume she liked it.


The problem with the fabric is that the print is so big I would have had to match it on the centre back seam. But I really didn't feel like it. Not a tiny little bit. You see, I got lazy. I looked through my collection of zippers and discovered one that matched the colour of red flowers perfectly. A plan to omit a centre back seam and replace a button and a loop closure with an exposed zipper was born.


I have never installed an exposed zipper before. So I did what any lazy person in my position would do. I turned to the Almighty Internet for help. I mostly used this tutorial. I decided to topstitch around the zipper and I also added a zip guard on the inside of the dress so that the zipper would not rub against my daughter's skin. As any lazy person would do, right?


R enlisted a new photo-shoot assistant. Yes she is heavily into How to train your dragon at the moment. She already has a few toy dragons and I am pleased to report they seem to be settling in very well with her cars and dinosaurs.


The Norah dress has semi-lined bodice. In order to accommodate the zipper guard I changed the original lining and only used facing around the neckline. Being the lazy person that I am I could not imagine pressing the facing into place after every wash, so I understitched it.


Understitching only takes a couple extra minutes of sewing time but in my opinion it is worth it!


When I showed the dress to R she literally squealed with joy! She instantly started pointing out all the flowers and birds. She did ask me if there were pockets. I told her I did not want to add pockets because they would have covered up flowers and birds. Surprisingly she was satisfied with my explanation.


This dress has already been worn a few times. It is super comfortable, perfect for young dragon trainers who cannot miss an opportunity to jump off the park benches!


So this is the story of how I learned a new technique because I was too lazy to match the print. Phew! I am so glad it worked!

22 comments

  1. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Very cheery fabric, I'd put that in my wardrobe as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) You may have to fight my daughter for it though ;)

      Delete
  3. Lazy or not, it turned out great! I really love the exposed red zipper. I also love that your daughter keeps her favorite fabrics in her wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha. I kinda want to sew exposed zippers on everything now!

      Delete
  4. such a pretty dress, your daughter certainly looks very pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle :) I am so pleased that something that has no pockets or buttons was received so well!

      Delete
  5. Haha, such a great story. You really deserve that job at microsoft! The only thing that might expose you to not really be that lazy person is the zip guard. But hey, I forgive you ;) Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah darn, I knew I would make one wrong move that would jeopardise my chances ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh Jenya, you have been a very lazy, lazy girl with this project!!! that should b not aloud! i think that job in Microsoft is already yours. By the way, the dress is very pretty and your daughter looks gorgeous in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress. Cute corduroy prints are my absolute favorite fabrics ever. What child wouldn't want to wear a warm, soft dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela :) I would love something in corduroy for myself I think ;)

      Delete
  8. Cute dress and fun post! Love your explanation on the pockets...but that may not work on the next dress! ;) If Bill Gates needs someone to sew a dress, you are the one he should be calling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet sewing a dress for Bill Gates would be fun ;) I am actually making a new dress that has both pockets and buttons! But in fabric my daughter might not approve! I am such a rebel ;)

      Delete
  9. Ok, that is a lot of work, doesn't sound lazy at all. The lazy way would have been to cut on fold, add, the lining, cut a whole in the back and flip the lining to the inside. That is the lazy way. LOL Apparently, I take laziness to a whole new level. The dress is stunning by the way! The zip adds a very nice detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of work to avoid doing a lot of work... Maybe I should have gone for crazy rather than lazy hehe

      Delete
  10. Beautiful!! You make me laugh - you are the complete opposite of a lazy sewer Jenya, your work is perfection x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are too funny! Laughing randomly while sitting at work possibly isn't a good thing. The dress is gorgeous. You totally lazy thing (not!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't laughing randomly at work warrants a few extra days off? Go ahead and laugh my friend ;)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.