They made me do it!

It was not my fault! They made me do it!

I was going to be a good girl and stick to my sewing plan for summer which included a dress, a pair of shorts and a couple of tops. However I gave in to sewing peer pressure, bought a new pattern and made this top.


This is the Alice top by Tessuti. It was not on my list. I did really well to not buy a pattern after I saw the top Elizabeth has made (and then again and again). I don't know how, but I did find the strength to not purchase it after I saw Anna's top. But then my dear sewing friend Renee posted about hers. Before I knew it my fingers processed the payment and the pattern landed in my inbox.


I followed the advice of my sewing friends and sized the top down. This top is size XS and it still feels a little roomy. Not enough to look too big on me, however I wonder if I should go one size down next time.

I have also read that the top is pretty long. I am not the shortest woman walking around. Being 170 cm (5'7") tall I lengthened almost everything I have made for myself so far. I decided to not cut any of the fabric off so I ended up with a generous hem, which I don't mind at all.


The construction was pretty straight forward. I did not use any tearaway vilene. Instead I simply staystitched the neckline and it worked great. I did not interface the sleeves either. Understitching sleeve pieces made me sweat a little, but I persevered and got it almost perfect.


This top is made out of sweet soft Japanese cotton lawn I purchased during one of the resent sales at Spotlight. Yoke pieces are lined with white cotton voile. My husband said the top looked like a nighty. I should stop asking for his opinion about fabric! I actually really like it. In fact my picky daughter approved it, and that says something.


My dear sewing friends. I started this post by saying you made me do it. All I can say is thank you. Thank you for sharing your passion, knowledge, skills and experience. Thank you for making me want to improve my skills. I am looking forward to sharing more things you made me do!

30 comments

  1. You look lovely in it! It's quite a romantic floaty style and I've surprised myself with just how versatile the pattern is. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. Yes I agree while the top is very floaty it still is very romantic and feminine. Super comfy!

      Delete
  2. I love this pattern! You look amazing in it!! Don't listen to your husband, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mie. Nope, not paying any attention to his comments anymore :) although they are funny ;)

      Delete
  3. It is a beautiful top! I always love your pattern and fabric choices. Our tastes are very alike. :)
    Oh and yes, don't listen to your DH... What does he know about fabric and prints? :) That fabric is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. I think I am developing a whole new level of appreciation towards lawn fabrics! Such cute prints, beautiful lightweight fabric.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Looks so good on you, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the top looks great on you and it's so pretty. great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magda. I cannot believe how hoofed I am on selfish sewing right now!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful woman and beautiful top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't listen to your hubby... LOL!!! A beautiful top, Jenya!!! Not sure why, but we used to call these Baby Doll dresses or tops. I've always loved this style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A top that is feminine yet covers a lot of sins ;) Gotta love it. But seriously, it is so comfy! Perfect for summer.

      Delete
  8. Did my last comment work?? Seems to have disappeared. Oh well - Love the top!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee. I think Blogger was playing games with you. This is the only comment I see. The same happens to me sometimes :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous Jenya, I've been resisting since Renee's dont know how long I'll last now I've seen yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, you are going to make me do it! Another one on my to sew list with summer approaching (quickly please!). I love LOVE the pattern as welk as your choice of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo hoo, love it how we 'make each other' make things :) I was admiring your latest tunic thinking, "Gotta make this one!"

      Delete
  11. This looks beautiful on you Jenya! And definitely not pajama-y at all :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abby :) it is a relief to know I won't end up looking like I just hopped out of bed rocking up to work!

      Delete
  12. It looks great on you! Definitely worth the purchase :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yes it was definitely a good purchase, such a lovely top to wear, and I made it myself - whoo hoo!!!

      Delete
  13. Very, very beautiful. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika. You are one of those people who make me sew things :) Love seeing your creations :)

      Delete
  14. That colour looks good on you!! LM is just like you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. YOU inspired me to by this pattern a couple of months ago... I finally just printed it yesterday and am hoping to tackle it this week. I love both versions you've made, and I appreciate the notes- I am 5'11", so maybe for once I won't have to add length??! We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally accept my responsibility ;) Hope you will enjoy sewing and wearing your Alice :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.