A comfy top and a helpful photographer

Don't you hate it when you have to repeat a photo shoot? I made myself a new top a few weeks ago, but had to wait before I could share it.

This is my new top - the Foxglove top by Selvage Designs.


I just love the hemline of this top. I am not the biggest fan of hi-low hemlines, but this time it just spoke to me. The pattern was released during our winter so I had to wait patiently to make this top. Seeing gorgeous Foxglove tops my friends from the Northern hemisphere were sewing did not make waiting easier! Heidi was involved in testing, and isn't her top lovely? Monica looks like a supermodel in hers. How cool is Teresa's version? Renee made a knit version to escape Australian winter (lucky duck).


I made my Foxglove from cotton/linen blend I purchased at my local Spotlight. I loved the funky print, however my husband and daughter did not share my enthusiasm. Would you like to know what my husband nicknamed this top? 'Lungs with no heads top'. Little Monkey just said it was 'bweeey'. Whatever. I am the one wearing it and I am very pleased with it!


The pattern is designed for ladies 167 cm tall. I am almost 170 cm. After making a muslin I decided I wanted to lengthen the front pattern piece. Showing off tummies might be OK at 16, but not at 36. In my case anyway. Lengthening the front pattern piece by 3 1/2 cm allowed me to keep the dramatic hi-low hem and look respectable at the same time.


I also lowered the armhole opening (surely there is a nicer term for this) by 2 cm. It just feels more comfortable for me to wear it this way. This my friends is the beauty of making things for myself - I can alter them to fit my body. Or at least give it a go.

So why do you think I wanted to repeat the photo shoot? Well because someone wanted to 'help' take the photos. Define 'help'! Cute definitely. Helpful? Doubtful, very doubtful.


Maybe Little Monkey was not the most helpful photographer, but she sure made taking photos fun!




I am simply in love with my Foxglove top. It is super comfy, perfect for hot Australian summers. And it was very easy to make. I am sure there will be more of these in my wardrobe!

Pin It

25 comments

  1. Ah, I sure love a nice snowy winter, but your pics still make me long for summer! You're really looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika. I am not a fan of winter, so I am trying to hold on to summer for as long as I can!

      Delete
  2. Ah, it's always good to have your little 'friend' in the photos too, makes it far less 'lonely!' The lungs without heads really made me laugh. Funny how the 'apples' suddenly became medical drawing!. Looks lovely on. Very flattering back. (Oh to have my shoulders in the sunshine again - can't wait!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria. Yes having her attack and tickle me and take photos and spin around was fun. I feel very awkward posing for the photos, so it was a lovely distraction. It worked so well though we had to have another quick shoot haha Soon enough I will be looking at your summer time creations missing the sun ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh I love your foxglove! And it makes me itch for warmer weather so I can wear mine more often! You are becoming a pro at sewing your own clothes! Go Jenya! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. I definitely starting to feel more confident. My next two selfish sewing projects had more than 2 pattern pieces :)

      Delete
  4. Looks great Jenya!! I love how it looks with shorts - perfect for the super hot days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee. It is pretty hot here today. LM and I might go out for ice cream later - a great excuse to take my Foxglove for a walk ;)

      Delete
  5. Cute top! The breezy top looks great on you, and your size adjustment is spot on! Lungs with no heads...lol I thought they were apples, but now I can only see the lungs with no heads... ;o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I now regret pointing out that my funky apples also look like lungs with no heads hahaha

      Delete
  6. It looks great on you. Pffft lungs. Isn't it fruit?!? Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane :) It is definitely coolest ever apples. What do husbands know hahaha

      Delete
  7. You guys and your twisty Southern Hemisphere summer/winter is making me all sorts of confused :) I think that fabric is adorable, and you know LM didn't like it just because it's not featuring neither pockets no buttons. I think this tops suits you really well and hello 36? You don't look a day over 24. Do you make muslins often? I've yet to make a muslin anything but then again I never sew for myself, way too intimidating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I kept on getting confused for ages! If someone said summer, I automatically assumed June-August. 'Дело было прошлым летом, в середине января' does not sound funny at all here. As for the muslins, I don't make them for LM, however I have made one for every thing I have made for myself so far (apart from my Staple dresses and knit things). I am very intimidated by how much fabric my clothes requires and I don't want to cut into it without checking for fit etc. I have failed every small bust adjustment so far. I have so much to learn, and I am so excited I am finally doing it.

      Delete
  8. You're gorgeous!! I really can't wait for summer to try out the Foxglove. Oh and I always have to allow Madalena to take me some photos when I take some of her, kids always make things more fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LM takes pics of my new outfits for IG :) She is my official IG photographer. She loves being behind the camera, not so much in front.

      Delete
  9. You look great! We have the same age and I wish I'd look like you. :)
    Aren't those a fruit? :) Anyway, it is a great top!
    And all your selfcare sewing is an inspiration to me. (Thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. It feels just yesterday when we were talking about encouraging each other to sew more for ourselves. Although I think it's been a few months! It is seriously additive!

      Delete
  10. So gorgeous!! And thanks for the shout out, although the supermodel comment made me laugh out loud! I completely agree with you on the high low hem thing, it's not usually my thing, but this worked well! I also had to lower the front hemline (I'm a shortie with a loooong torso) and I think I'll try lowering the armhole on my next version, too. It is a touch too tight. I think the colors of the shirt look fantastic on you, too! Wear your hearts with no lungs and wear them proudly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica :) I will hold my head up high wearing my top :)

      Delete
  11. It came out great! I've had this one on my "to sew" list since it was released and some how every time I think about it, it's 20 degrees outside. I have a hard time sewing a season ahead. Too hard to get motivated to sew summer things while I'm freezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how people sew a season ahead. I tend to change my mind so many times! This is a beautiful top for hot days, although it was surprisingly cool here during the first photo shoot, I had to put a cardi on afterwards, and the top still looked very cute.

      Delete
  12. oh my goodness! those photos are precious! totally photos to treasure. and that top looks great on you! you have awesome shoulders. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. This little girl is my official IG photographer! She loves taking photos much more than being photographed :) I think she has my awesome shoulders ;)

      Delete
  13. Jenya, your pictures are amazing. We have a very good winter here and we could spend more time outside.
    Your pictures make me wish summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.