Let it go! Let it go!

Let it go! Let it go!
Can't hold it back anymore!

So many girls and boys sing this song. My daughter is one of them. She loves songs from Frozen, and Let It Go is her favourite. The funny thing is that she actually did not like the movie at all. We were probably the last family on the planet to see Frozen. It was soon after we moved house. We though it would be a nice treat. Little Monkey has already been to the movies once and loved it. However on this occasion as soon as the movie finished she burst into tears and asked if we could go home. She was horrified of a snow monster! Poor thing was so distressed. I felt like the worst mother in the world.

Despite disliking the movie she still enjoyed watching songs from in on YouTube. One day after we finished singing Let It Go for the fifth time in a row I asked her if she wanted a dress like the one Queen Elsa was wearing. Of course Little Monkey said yes!

At about the same I got to test the Desert Rose Dress and Tunic pattern by Caila Made. When I made the dress and showed it to my daughter her eyes widened with excitement and she said, "Let it go dress!"

This was the dress.


I seriously have no idea why my daughter thought this dress looked like Queen Elsa's. When I shared her reaction with other testers we had a giggle. But hey, I was not going to convince Little Monkey otherwise. She loved this dress and wore it until it got too small.

Caila has made a few changes after receiving feedback from testers. It was my first time testing and I was amazed by how much work went into perfecting a sewing pattern! To say that Caila did a great job would be an understatement. Of course I could not wait to sew a dress using the final version of the pattern.

A few weeks ago I finally did it! While she was sleeping I made a new Let It Go dress for Little Monkey using the final version of the pattern.


This is a beginner friendly pattern that offers a few options like the length and the shape of the skirt and the neckline ruffle. Caila has thought about everything. Even if you have never made a garment for a child before you will create a beautiful dress thanks to Caila's clear instructions. If you are looking for a base pattern you can change around, well, Desert Rose is a great starting point. Add patch or in-seam pockets, made the hi-lo skirt, add little sleeves... One's imagination is the only limit!

I chose to make a basic dress. She looks like a little lady in her new dress and a hat :)


I love involving my daughter in the process of creating clothes for her. Once again she chose fabric and buttons for the dress, and your not so humble servant put it together. I have already used this fabric to make a tunic for Little Monkey.



While making dress was easy taking photos of my cheeky model was once again a challenge. Why? Because every time she saw the camera...


 ...she ran away!


I am pleased to report that Little Monkey loves her new Let It Go dress as much as the first (tester version) dress I made for her.


Pin It

27 comments

  1. Love love love this dress and I missed you!!! <3 LM looks very happy in her new dress and your sewing is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alisa :) It feels nice to be back with my sewing friends :) This dress was super easy to make, and I am so glad my daughter loves wearing it so uch! I'd better go check what you have been up to!

      Delete
  2. Jenya, both of these dresses are beautiful! I LOVE that second one with all those bright flowers! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. Believe it or not it took me a little while to convince myself to buy that fabric a couple of years ago. I was a little unsure how asuch large print would look on clothes for little people, and hey, doesn't it look great!

      Delete
  3. Two gorgeous dresses, Jenya!!! Isn't it funny how a different choice of fabric can TOTALLY change the look. Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. Yes I like it how fabric choices can change the look of a garment completely!

      Delete
  4. What great fabric LM chose - so summery! I agree that this pattern is awesome, you've inspired me to make another one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee :) Have you sewn the upsated version yet?

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dresses & I love that LM had a unique let it go dress, that girl's got real style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shell. She has style and imagination! She is so funny!

      Delete
  6. Love both dresses. The floral one just screams summer to me. So pretty.
    Btw: We still haven't watched Frozen :) I'm afraid that it's till too much for R. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika :) The tester version was made in the middle of winter, so the bodice was lightweight demin with corduroy skirt. It would have been exceptionally boring if not for the splash of red. The summer version is so bright :) I love it too :)

      Isn't it intriquing what children find scary? My daughter would watch shows about dinosaurs where they go and eat each other up, and she is not scared at all. One day we started watching LIon king with her and had to stop practically at the beginning where the monkey appeared. Because the monkey was scary! Kids are seriously hilarious hehe

      Delete
  7. Lovely! I really love this pattern. I love your first version with the red stripes at the bottom. Yes we all love frozen songs here too. Even little Emily has a mama made well worn elsa costume!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz. I bet Emily looks super cute in her mama made Elsa costume :)

      Delete
  8. My children also just watched Frozen movie recently and they like its song too. Both dresses are beautiful, Jenya. The floral dress is really eye-candy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yeka. It is such a lovely pattern, and different fabric choices result is different looks.

      Delete
  9. Love the dresses Jenya! The flower fabric is so summery, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I love summer prints. I am kinda in denial half of summer is already gone!

      Delete
  10. Love the dresses,Jenya! So sweet and summery! My kids also didn't like Frozen when they saw it in the movie theater, because they too were afraid of the snow monster. But then they fell in love with it once they watched it home on DVD and knew what to expect. :) My yongest loooves and the movie, it's "Let it Go" day and night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think LM watched it again at home with dad. Not too sure though. She has not spoken about the snow monster again, so it must have gone well. When we first looked for Frozen songs on You Tube I needed to make sure there were no clips with the snow monster in it.

      Delete
  11. They are beautiful! I love both dresses, very different looks but both are lovely look on your daughter.
    My daughter claims Let It Go is HER song...in our house, no one else is allowed to sing it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Annie, my daughter closes my mouth with her hand if she doesn't want me to sing with her! Kids are so funny :)

      Delete
  12. I love the silhouette on this pattern...so cute in this bold pattern, too. Your photos (and girl) are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. I wish taking gorgeous photos of this gorgeous girl was easier though hehe

      Delete
  13. These photos made me wish this winter and cold to be over already. The dresses are lovely and she looks so cute and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magda. Yes I am not a fan of winter either, even here in Oz!

      Delete
  14. Somehow, I missed this post. That dress is so colourful. Yeah, yeah summer come here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.