A dress for Mrs Claus

Just before Christmas I made myself a new Staple dress. When I finished the dress I showed it to my husband. He said that if I added some fur I would have looked like Mrs Claus.

Please allow me to disagree!


The fabric is Lisette Cotton Sateen that I picked up from a clearance shelf at my local Spotlight. Red is my favourite colour. I also loved the floral print. I thought this fabric looked festive enough but not too Christmassy so I could wear my new dress any day. My selfish sewing confidence is still very low. I did not want to spend too much on fabric I could ruin. 


After sewing my first Staple dress I knew I wanted to make a few small changes. While making this dress I actually 'married' two sizes in one dress. I kept the bodice part of the dress size S but widened the skirt part to size M. The adjusted shape feels more comfortable to wear than my first attempt.


I thought that the neckline on my first dress was too wide so I played around a little and made it smaller. And yes, I still feel like an idiot posing for photos!


I have heard plenty of stories of shirring gone wrong so I must admit I was not in a hurry to try it. However this time I decided it was time. I was surprised how easy shirring was! Or maybe it was the case of "first time lucky".


My first Staple dress did not have pockets. This one does! I should have tried the dress on before sewing the pockets in. I think I placed them too high which did not leave enough room for a few more rows of shirring. 

After a remark from my husband I was really unsure about the dress so decided to wear it to work the following day and check what my co-workers though. They laughed at my husband's comment and reassured me I did not look like Mrs Claus in my new Staple dress. 

What do you think?

Pin It

30 comments

  1. Gorgeous Jenya - red looks so good on you!! I hope your confidence has lifted a bit - you've done a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee. Yes I do feel a little better now. In fact, I have made three more tops for myself after this dress, and I find that with every new item my confidence increases. Adult things are so much bugger than kids clothes! I find it somewhat intimidating :)

      Delete
  2. You look great - nothing like Mrs Claus. The dress really suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. I avoided red for years! Now I can't get enough of it :)

      Delete
  3. I love it, it looks wonderful on you and the changes you made make a lot of sense to me. Shirring is easy, I think some peoples machines can play up but so long as yours works with the elastic you have, it couldn't be an easier technique. You are such an accomplished sewist, I hope your self sewing confidence is rising x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shell. I definitely find that I feel better about sewing 'bug girl' things less intimidating with every new make. It actually is really addictive! Sounds like I am lucky to have a cooperative machine when it comes to shirring! One of the things I want to make for myself in the near future requires shirring also :)

      Delete
  4. It looks great! Well done and love the fabric - nothing Mrs Claus whatsoever in my opinion (unless that is your last name of course ;-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) No, my last name is not Mrs Claus... unless this is something my husband forgot to mention!

      Delete
  5. Not at all like Mrs Claus, Jenya. You look fabulous!!! You might feel funny posing for photos but it doesn't show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I am hoping posing for photos will get easier after a while. I just don't know what to do with myself! My body feels awkward!

      Delete
  6. No you don't look like Mrs. Claus LOL The dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie :) I feel a little silly about letting a comment that was obviously a joke shake my confidence so much :)

      Delete
  7. Husbands never know best! And certainly not in this case. You look great, the dress looks fantastic and your selfish sewing confidence can be way up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mieke. My husband is very handy when it comes to IT things and uploading photos. Maybe not giving feedback about my sewing hehehe Although he is usually nice :)

      Delete
  8. If Mrs. Claus looks like that, Santa is one lucky guy! :)

    I am loving your selfish sewing posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Thank you Jodi :) I feel very weird posting about things I make for myself. It is not like I don't know how to sew a few pieces of fabric together. It feels like I am starting all over again to some extent. Making my attempts public feels weird, but I am so grateful for support and encouragement from my sewing friends.

      Delete
  9. I think you are the most beautiful Mrs Claus ever ;) You look great. Such a beautiful dress! And you are pretty as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika :) I have worn this dress a few times already and I feel better about it every time I wear it. I just should not let my husband's cheeky comments change the way I feel about the things I make :)

      Delete
  10. Well you would have made a cute Mrs. Claus, but this dress really can be worn any times of the year! It is pretty and fits you well. Great job, and you should have more confidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. After sewing little things for my daughter things I make for myself seem so big! It is not like I have no idea how to sew, it feels weird doing it on a different scale, if this makes any sense!

      Delete
  11. Mrs Claus??!! No way! You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I really was hoping no one else would think I was going for the Mrs Claus look hehe

      Delete
  12. More suitable for Hawaii than the north pole! It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Justine :) Just reading Hawaii makes me want to go on a holiday!

      Delete
  13. your dress is beautiful Jenya. Why Mrs. Claus, because is red? To me is more like Hawaii, it has white flowers. Maybe was a seasonal thought, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a beautiful dress and it fits you lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magda. It is so comfy to wear! I am all abut comfy :)

      Delete
  15. I think you look gorgeous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jane :) It feels so nice to be able to wear something I made myself!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.