Pretty woman

Ever since I made a knee length Syrah skirt I have been dreaming about a maxi version. During the tour I loved maxi skirts that Abby, Abbey, Teresa and Pienkel have made.

While she was sleeping, I made myself a maxi Syrah skirt.



It is amazing how a comfortable and beautiful item of clothing can change the way I feel. Every time I wear this skirt I start singing Pretty Woman in my head. I do feel pretty and even sexy wearing this skirt. I love the way it flows right to the ground and how it moves when I walk. It is so comfy I could live in it.


Photo-bombing courtesy of my dog. He is a 10 year old Jack Russell x Fox Terrier. His name is Happy, and he is our favourite family pest :)

My knowledge about knit fabrics is limited. I do not have much experience sewing with stretchy fabrics. I loved this fabric when I saw it on a clearance shelf at my local Spotlight, but I was not sure if it would be suitable for a skirt. It is 60% cotton, 40% modal. To start with, I had no idea what 'modal' was. I asked a couple of shop assistants, and while we had a lot of fun chatting, they were not able to tell me much about this fabric. As fabric was heavily discounted I decided to take a step of faith and give it a go. So far so good.


Both of my Syrah skirts were cut the same size, but this one turned out a little bigger. I remembered this post by Elegance & Elephants after I finished sewing. It might have been helpful to re-read it before I started working on the skirt. But hey, the skirt still fits well, it is very comfy, and I am super happy with it.


I could not decide if I wanted to line my skirt for ages. I actually bought lining fabric, but ended up only lining the waistband. I am so glad I did! I think it helps my skirt stay on!


I am a little proud of myself as I made this skirt almost entirely on the overlocker. I only used my sewing machine to hem the skirt. I have only sewed my daughter's swimsuit on the overlocker before, and I was so anxious about it I disabled the knife. In the past I would sew knits on my sewing machine and use the overlocker just to finish the seams. This time I felt truly adventurous. I was amazed how quickly I sewed this skirt. I think I will be sewing knits on the overlocker from now on.


We had a small family outing for the photo shoot. We also took photos of Little Monkey's new dress. I will blog about it soon, so stay tuned!

Pin It

Follow on Bloglovin

18 comments

  1. This skirt turned out beautiful. I have some green fabric set aside to make another Syrah skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. With how warm your winters are you will get plenty of wear out of it!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I'm mid-way through my first Syrah skirt, inspired by yours. It would be quick except I've broken every overlocker needle I had sewing though the ruched waistband side seams! Its at a stage I can try on though, and it's so comfy I'm sure I'll be making more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I love the ruched waist look. I was going to make it, but got so lazy - the pattern piece was already cut out looking at me, so I went with that ;) Are you going to blog about it? I would love to see it :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren for such a beautifully designed pattern.

      Delete
  4. oh wow that looks lovely on you, Jenya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look prety �� and yes: make use of your overlocker for the knits. Much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this, Jenya! I printed out Syrah Skirt pattern and got the lining fabric ready... well, I'll make one for next summer for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirt is lovely! Maxi skirts are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this skirt Jenya! I have not tried sewing with knits yet (too scared).I am getting an overlocker for Christmas and although I am excited I am a bit daunted by it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michelle, I am sure you will love your overlocker! Best Chrissie present ever :) I am just getting excited about sewing knits, and am a bit grumpy at how difficult it is to find good knits where I live.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.